In 1852 the “cabinet d’histoire naturelle” aquired the Tinant cabinet, a collection of herbarium sheets representing the flora of Luxembourg. This aquisition marked the beginning of the botanical collections of the MnhnL. The ownership of the collections was transferred to the state in 1924.
Living plant collections
Since 2001, the museum has a living plant collections section, in charge of the scientific management of the plantings of the Kirchberg arboretum and the museum’s gardens.