Department of Ecology – Related activities
Functions and representations
- Prix Hëllef fir d’Natur : the curator of the Department of Ecology represents the Ministry of Culture in the jury of the nature conservation price → Prix Hëllef-fir-d’Natur.
- The curator is treasurer of Fondation faune-flore, Institute for Research on natural heritage and biodiversity. The Foundation is the host organization for doctoral or postdoctoral students at the Scientific Research Centre of MNHNL. → www.faune-flore.lu
- Luxembourg Naturalist Society (SNL): From 2003 to 2017 the curator has been president of the Society, having a partnership agreement with MNHNL. He is now honorary president. → www.snl.lu
- European Union Scientific Forum on Invasive Alien Species: since 2015 the curator is appointed to the Forum as ad hoc Expert by the Department of Environment of the Ministry for Sustainable Development and Infrastructure (MDDI). → ec.europa.eu
- NEOBIOTA – European Group on Biological Invasions: since 2010 the curator is member of the Neobiota Council. → www.neobiota.eu
- COST action: Increasing understanding of alien species through citizen science: The curator is member of the Management Committee of the COST Action CA17122, 2018-2021 (European Cooperation in Science and Technology).
- UNESCO MAB Programme: from 2012 to 2015 the curator of the Department of Ecology has been delegate to the → International Co-ordinating Council (ICC) of the Man and the Biosphere (MAB) Programme.
Organization of scientific conferences
- Sandstone Landscapes in Europe. Past, Present and Future. Proceedings of the 2nd International Conference on Sandstone Landscapes. Vianden, 25-28/05/2005 (in the frame of the Luxembourg Presidency of the Council of the European Union. Abstract book (888 kB) and proceedings (Ferrantia 44) are available in Pdf format.
- Exkursionstagung zum Schutz der Ackerwildkräuter (03-05/07/2014)
- Buckwheat in Europe : History, Culture, Gastronomy and Nutrition. European Regional IBRA Meeting. MNHNL, 10-12/12/2015.
- NEOBIOTA 2016 – 9th International Conference on Biological Invasions. Vianden, 14-16/09/2016.
- Protection of endangered arable flora and fauna: a real challenge? Bertrange, 14/07/2017.
- Invasive alien species – European regulations and issues for Luxembourg. MNHNL, 20/03/2018.
- Jahrestagung der Floristisch-soziologischen Arbeitsgemeinschaft e.V. Vianden, 14-17 June 2019.
The curator of the Department of Ecology has been involved in the organization of several exhibitions.
- Taste Affair – three exhibitions on taste and food. 3 temporary exhibitions at the MNHNL. 24/09/2010 – 13/02/2011.
- 04/12/2015-08/10/2016: Orchids, cocoa and hummingbirds – Luxembourgish naturalists and plant hunters in Latin America. Temporary exhibition at the MNHNL as part of the 125th anniversary of the SNL.
- 01/03/2016-24/04/2016: Mexican drawings and watercolours by Frantz Majerus. Temporary exhibition at the Neumünster Abbey Cultural Meeting Centre as part of the 125th anniversary of the SNL.
- 14/05/2016-26/06/2016: Photographs by Edouard Luja (1875-1953) in Congo and Brazil. Temporary exhibition at the Neumünster Abbey Cultural Meeting Centre as part of the 125th anniversary of the SNL.
Setup of various html and php information terminals at the Museum and in Esch/Belval in co-operation with the botany and the IT department of the Museum:
- Presentation of projects of the scientific research centre of the Museum
(lobby of the Museum and documentation centre at Cité des sciences, « massenoire » building, avenue du Rock’n Roll, opposite to Rockhal, L-4361 Esch-sur-Alzette)
- Welcome and schedule
(lobby of the Museum)
- Evolution of world population
(“Qui suis-je?” room in the former Museum)